Sunday, October 8, 2023

Review: Can't Help Falling by Courtney Walsh



My rating: 5 stars / It was amazing



Synopsis

Sometimes all it takes to start a fire is a single match. . .

Owen Larrabee is not my soulmate.

He wasn't when I confessed my love to him on his wedding day, and he isn't now. I should probably say that I wasn't the bride when that happened. I don't have the best timing.

He’s got a temper, he's moody, and he has a history of being misunderstood and making big mistakes.

I, on the other hand, make pumpkin cupcakes, spend my Friday nights curled up with a beloved romance novel and long to be kissed in the rain.

Owen is my best friend’s older, off-limits brother and the only boy I ever thought I loved. Which is laughable because he only ever saw me as his kid sister’s dorky friend.

But that was a long time ago. And I’m over him.

Mostly.

Until he comes back to Harvest Hollow like some kind of hero, showing up just in time to pull me out of my burning house and make me feel all the things I told myself I’d never feel again.

But I have questions. Why is Owen back? And does he remember our secret friendship or the day I’ve spent the last eight years trying to forget?

I know better than to get hung up on Owen again. Especially now, when he’s sworn off relationships and thinks romance is a farce. And I’m something of an expert—at least to the people who listen to my podcast, The Hopeful Romantic.

Never mind that nobody would guess their local bookshop owner is the one doling out popular weekly relationship advice.

Never mind that I’m basing all that advice on the hundreds, (thousands?) of romance novels I’ve read over the years and not on personal experience.

And especially never mind that Owen is making me question everything I believe about all of it.

Can’t Help Falling is a best friend’s brother, childhood crush, opposites attract sweet rom-com with plenty of sizzle but none of the steam.

My Review

I absolutely loved this book full of humor and heart! This author always brings the feels for me, even in her more light-hearted plots. So much to love here- Unrequited love, best friend's brother, friends to more, bookstore owner, firefighter, secret identity! I loved being able to read Owen's perspective as he comes home and faces his past, unexpectedly but inevitably falling for Emmy, despite her (hilarious) awkwardness and attempts at avoidance. He is so compassionate to her and shows through his actions and words that he understands and validates her feelings from losing her home. The small town setting is so fun, and the friends and family were vibrant and had depth as they root for their new favorite (potential) couple. Owen grows and softens as he is influenced by Emmy's views on romance and love, while he balances out her fictional romance knowledge with some real-life loving that is less about show and more about intention. I just loved their angst and chemistry!

Disclosure statement: A complimentary copy of this book was provided from a tour group, publisher, publicist, or author, including NetGalley, OR was borrowed from the library, including OverDrive, OR borrowed from Kindle Unlimited, OR purchased. A review was not required and all views and opinions expressed are unbiased and my own.

The Sweater Weather multi-author series . . .








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!