Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Review: A Heart Adrift by Laura Frantz


My rating: 5 stars / It was amazing



Synopsis

It is 1755, and the threat of war with France looms over colonial York, Virginia. Chocolatier Esmee Shaw is fighting her own battle of the heart. Having reached her twenty-eighth birthday, she is reconciled to life alone after a decade-old failed love affair from which she's never quite recovered. But she longs to find something worthwhile to do with her life.

Captain Henri Lennox has returned to port after a lengthy absence, intent on completing the lighthouse in the dangerous Chesapeake Bay, a dream he once shared with Esmee. But when the colonial government asks him to lead a secret naval expedition against the French, his future is plunged into uncertainty.

Will a war and a cache of regrets keep them apart, or can their shared vision and dedication to the colonial cause heal the wounds of the past? Bestselling and award-winning author Laura Frantz whisks you away to a time fraught with peril--on the sea and in the heart--in this redemptive, romantic story.


My Review

This story is as beautiful as its cover! I can always count on this author to transport me to another era, with historical details that bring to life the characters and setting. I love learning about periods of time that aren't as common in the fiction genres I read, and the perfect balance is struck between history, plot, and characters. The pace of the book isn't swift, but that never bothers me when I'm savoring each page. I love a character-driven romance, and the dormant relationship between Esmee and Henri slowly unfolds as they find new footing with each other. They are both easy to admire, from Esmee's charitable endeavors with the local poorhouse to Henri's loyalty to his crew and country. The pace of the book picks up as they become entwined in each other's lives again, and I loved the way they began to give their romance another chance. There is plenty happening in their lives and community to drive the plot forward, and I was engaged the entire time I was reading. Highly recommend to fans of historical romance!

Disclosure statement: A complimentary copy of this book was provided from a tour group, publisher, publicist, or author, including NetGalley, OR was borrowed from the library, including OverDrive, OR borrowed from Kindle Unlimited, OR purchased. A review was not required and all views and opinions expressed are unbiased and my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!