Saturday, May 25, 2024

Review: My Lucky Charm by Courtney Walsh



My rating: 5 stars / It was amazing



Synopsis

A humiliating break-up leads to an impulsive New Year’s Kiss with a complete stranger.
What could possibly go wrong?


It’s no secret that I love life. And Dr Pepper. But also, I love a challenge. . .

So when the coach of the Chicago Comets gives me the opportunity to help their star player, newly traded to their team, acclimate to life in Chicago, I'm all in.

I have to be. After my last job went up in flames, I have something to prove.

It turns out that the player, Grayson Hawke, is the rudest, most off-putting, reclusive guy I’ve ever met.

It also turns out that he is the beautiful stranger I kissed on New Year’s Eve.

I can do this job. I can do this job. I can do this job.

And I can. Really well.

I can make Gray’s life easier, show him all the reasons to fall in love with this city, and in the process, hopefully completely forget that the amazing kiss ever happened.

How hard can it be? We’re total opposites anyway.

I love people . . . and all their stories. Gray loves hockey . . . and nothing else.

I love to talk. Gray only stares.

I’m happy-go-lucky. Gray’s all work and no play.

There’s just one problem. The more time I spend with Grayson Hawke, the more I start to see that underneath his bristly, standoffish exterior, he’s nothing like the man everyone thinks he is.

And suddenly, all the reasons for keeping my distance, staying professional, and not falling for someone again. . . are impossible to remember. My Lucky Charm is a grumpy/sunshine, sweet hockey romance with all of the sizzle but none of the steam. It's the second in the Holidays with Hart series, but My Lucky Charm can be read as a stand alone.


My Review

Oh my heart! I loved this hockey romance with all-the-feels, great banter, characters with depth, and romance with chemistry! I know that hockey has become a popular theme lately in the sweet romance genre, and Courtney Walsh caught that wave early on, setting the bar for those to follow. Her characters are vibrant and the story plays like a movie in my head- but better than any I've seen lately! Grayson is one tough nut, but we get to see the why as his layers are peeled back. Eloise is up for the challenge, and I loved her optimistic cheerfulness that was a little naive but never annoying. The little random ways Grayson and Eloise connect with each other are fun and endearing. The sense of family- both related and found- brought a foundation of belonging and loyalty, even for those who find themselves floundering. For sports fans and non-sports fans alike, the hockey element brought intensity, drive, and a dynamic setting without taking over the romance and relationship focus. The author balanced it perfectly and hit that sweet spot. This is a series I plan to re-read, and I can't wait for more!!!

Disclosure statement: A complimentary copy of this book was provided from a tour group, publisher, publicist, or author, including NetGalley, OR was borrowed from the library, including OverDrive, OR borrowed from Kindle Unlimited, OR purchased. A review was not required and all views and opinions expressed are unbiased and my own.

Don't miss the first book in the Holidays With Hart series . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!