Saturday, May 20, 2023

Review: Kawaii Kitties: Learn How to Draw 75 Cats in All Their Glory by Olive Yong


My rating: 3 stars / I liked it



Synopsis

Learn to draw all kinds of cute cats doing all sorts of silly things through 75 step-by-step tutorials.

In Kawaii Kitties, popular Instagram artist Bichi Mao (@bichi.mao) perfectly captures cats’ different attitudes, while playing, sleeping, eating, stretching, exploring, being loving, wearing cute costumes, and much more!

Along with the tutorials, Bichi Mao shares:
- An introduction to the kawaii art aesthetic
- Suggestions for drawing tools
- Tips and tricks for drawing and coloring your cats
- A facial expression directory
- Coloring pages swarming with kitties for you to decorate
 
So, get ready to purrfect your drawing skills, as well as be inspired to create your own kitty characters or illustrate the daily activities of your favorite pet.

My Review

I recently became a cat person when we brought two kittens into our home last year. I also love the cuteness of kawaii, so I was excited to check out this book. The author has her own personal style with the roundness and type of face she gives her kitties. Each pose the author demonstrates has its own step-by-step directions and illustrations. It's very effective as a guided drawing that would be achievable by pre-teens on up as they are pretty simple. The ideas are very fun and cute, with the expressions of the cats coming through. I would have liked a greater variety in shapes of cats rather than just poses, especially since my cats are not very fluffy or overly round. I understand that's part of the aesthetic but I don't think my cats would be recognizable in this style.

Disclosure statement: A complimentary copy of this book was provided from a tour group, publisher, publicist, or author, including NetGalley, OR was borrowed from the library, including OverDrive, OR borrowed from Kindle Unlimited, OR purchased. A review was not required and all views and opinions expressed are unbiased and my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!